CAWA Trip 2018 – Homeward Bound

Posted on

This will be a combined post for the four days it will take us to drive home as it will mainly be driving with no scenic stops.

We have decided to make a run for home and drive it over five days or perhaps less, depending on how tired we are. Our pack up was pretty quick as we had organised some things last night and we were away by 8:30. Driving out of Broken Hill the road and countryside merged and there was not a lot to see on this journey except for wild goats (hundreds of them), kangaroos and some sheep. There was still some evidence of the rain we had on Wednesday and even some puddles in creek beds closer to Broken Hill.
With only a couple of stops at roadside rest areas for our meal breaks and pitstops we arrived in Cobar about 3:30 pm and filled up with fuel ready to leave early tomorrow. We stayed again at the free camp at the RSL and had a good sleep.
We had to put the clocks forward an hour for daylight saving so managed to sleep in (by the clock) but were away by 9:30. The drive again today was quiet as we headed east to Gilgandra before turning to the north and following the Newell Highway. We saw a few more goats today but they gradually started to reduce in number and then it was the turn of the emus with a spattering of kangaroos. We bought fuel at Gilgandra and had our breaks at rest stops and made our destination of a highway rest stop 25km south of Narrabri as our free camp for tonight.
We headed out by 8:30am this morning which was great as we had a break at the Moree Artesian Pools. They are every travellers’ delight with water in the two smaller people being close to 40 degrees and the jets on your back and shoulders are wonderful. There is also a full Olympic sized pool, a smaller pool and an aquatic centre. A wellness spa is also on the premises. We stayed for about half an hour and then had our coffee in the car park before heading off refreshed.


Sadly the road today (Newell Highway and Cunningham Highway) was probably the worst of the whole trip with so many bumps we felt like we were on a rollercoaster. We also had to give way to eight oversize vehicles which is a lot for one day.
At our lunch stop at Inglewood we checked the radar sites as we could see clouds building over the range but it looked like we would miss it so we still made our destination at the Darling Downs Hotel, about 10km west of Warwick. The owner Kev came out to greet us, opened the gate and showed us in. Although they do not regularly do meals on weekdays he offered to call the cook and along with the other travellers and the locals we enjoyed drinks and a meal at great prices. Our last sunset snuck through the trees.

Today is our final day of the six month trip and we are headed home.
Kev has offered ham (from his own pigs) and eggs on the bbq so that was our first task. We had packed up before breakfast and our aim is to beat the expected storms. The range climb was uneventful although we had to stop at roadworks once and took this photo of the low clouds which we then drove through.
We arrived home just before lunch and started the unpacking of the van while the weather held. The cleaning starts tomorrow.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

eighteen − 7 =